Print

Ashes in fireplace start new buffalo fire

Monday, December 03, 2012 13:10 PM
Written by Stan Maddux
Category: Local News

A house caught fire in New Buffalo last night.

About 6 p.m....firefighters responded to Chicago St. a block

north of U-S 12.

The side of a single story house caught.

Kimberly Playforth and Rusty Sprundt were on their way to Blue Chip

Casino when they saw the flames and stopped.

They knocked on the doors.

Fortunately...nobody was home at the time.....

New Buffalo fire investigator Jack Kennedy says the homeowner

lives full time in Chicago,

He put ashes from the fireplace into his garbage can when he

left that morning.

Eventually...the hot coals caught the can on fire and the flames spread

to the house.

Kennedy says quick work by firefighters limited the damage to about

20 thousand dollars.