Local News Banner
Home  //  News  //  men hurt in electrical mishap
  • Register
Tuesday August 21, 2018
Print
Email

men hurt in electrical mishap

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 17:44 PM
Written by Stan Maddux
Category: Local News

Two men were seriously hurt when nearly electrocuted at a LaPorte County job site

Monday afternoon.

Ben Williams and Brandon Poort are members of the Indiana Kentucky Ohio Regional Council of Carpenters.

Scott Cooley, a business representative with union local 1485 with offices in LaPorte and Merrillville, said both men are carpenters and longtime members.

Cooley said both men were working a bridge project when the incident being looked into by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration happened.

Cooley also said he didn't know specifics involving the high voltage contact, saying OSHA isn't revealing much because of the investigation still being ongoing.

''It appears they're going to live and go through a lot of rehabilitation,'' Cooley said.

LaPorte County Police said there is a report but refused to share details.

A call placed to a 911 dispatcher indicates the mishap occurred east of LaCrosse at Indiana 8 and 400 West.

Pam Williams has been posting on Facebook updates about her son's condition.

She said Ben was on a ventilator at Loyola University Hospital in Chicago after surgical procedures to relieve pressure caused by the electrical current.

She also reported burns to various parts of his body.

Williams said Poort saved his life and wound up hospitalized too with burns suffered from the physical contact he had saving her son.
fmc 240

Login

Register

*
*
*
*
*
*

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.