Home  //  News  //  retrial ends with guilty verdict
  • Register
Tuesday September 18, 2018

retrial ends with guilty verdict

Thursday, June 21, 2018 15:57 PM
Written by Stan Maddux
Category: Local News

A Michigan City man on trial again for the fatal shooting of his girlfriend has been found guilty this time.

A jury Wednesday evening convicted Brian Taylor of murder after five-hours of deliberation.

Taylor, 24, faces anywhere from 45 to 65 years.

Sentencing in LaPorte Circuit Court is scheduled July 31.

The first trial in March ended with a hung jury.

Simone Bush, 24, died from a single gunshot to the neck in March of 2014 at her grandmother's house at 675 County Line Road on Michigan City's west side.

They were in a longtime relationship and Taylor up from Indianapolis to visit for the weekend was staying at the residence.

During closing arguments, special prosecutor David Thomas from Vigo County said evidence showed Bush was getting ready for work at her new bakery job when Taylor upset she wouldn't give him sex refused to give her a ride.

Just a half hour or so prior to the shooting, he said Taylor revealed his emotions on Facebook by posting ''how you don't think you don't got to please your man. Goofy.''

Thomas said evidence also showed Bush was cornered against a bedroom wall with the barrel of the gun to her neck when shot.

But, defense attorney David Payne said there was no proof what happened before the shooting or how the trigger got pulled.

He said the gun actually belonged to Bush and a day before the shooting a magazine she ordered for the weapon was delivered.

Payne speculated tensions escalated when Bush already upset at Taylor for playing video games all night was told to get her own ride to work.

He said she likely displayed the gun during an argument then during a struggle with Taylor for the weapon it went off.

''That's what happened. Show me otherwise,'' Payne said.

Landing a conviction was more challenging, perhaps, after the Indiana Supreme Court ordered evidence obtained from investigators eavesdropping on part of the private conservation between Taylor and his attorney withheld from the trial.

Due to the legal technicalities, Taylor was released on his own recognizance then became involved in gunshots fired at some teenagers who were not hurt.

He later was given a four-year prison sentence.
fmc 240




Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.