Local News Banner
Home  //  News  //  murder trial
  • Register
Thursday September 20, 2018

murder trial

Thursday, March 01, 2018 16:32 PM
Written by Stan Maddux
Category: Local News

A jury began hearing evidence Wednesday in a Michigan City murder case plagued by legal challenges over eavesdropping and a prosecutor having his license to practice law suspended because of the misconduct.

Brian Taylor, 24, is accused of fatally shooting his girlfriend, Simone Bush inside the home of her grandparents at 675 County Line Road in March of 2014.

The evidence shows Taylor and Bush, 24, lived in Indianapolis then after she moved back to Michigan City he made the drive up.

David Thomas, a special prosecutor from Vigo County trying the case, said Taylor after staying the night shot Bush in her bedroom.

Nobody in the two-story house knew she was dead until more than two hours had passed.

Several people lived there but just one resident, Shanell Turner, testified hearing a gunshot she described as sounding too off in the distance for her to get up and investigate.

Darryl Kelley, the victim's grandfather, testified he thought something got knocked over then spotted Taylor's vehicle leaving his property.

Kelley said he assumed Taylor was taking his granddaughter to her new job at a local bakery since her shift was about to begin.

''None of us had any idea what was going on,'' he said.

Bush was on the floor slumped against the bedroom door when Taylor fled out the bedroom window, Thomas said.

''He did not report her injury or death not even to members of her family,'' Thomas said.

Defense attorney Craig Braje said Taylor was in the bedroom but there's no proof how the trigger got pulled.

Braje said Taylor after the shooting told his mother ''something bad happened'' and later showed up at the police station with his grandfather.

He still had on the same bloody clothing and never tried hiding from the police that he was in the room.

''You will not hear one piece of evidence that anyone knows what happened,'' Braje said.

Several officers and then LaPorte County chief deputy prosecutor Robert Neary through a loud speaker at the police station heard part of what should have been confidential talks between Taylor and his attorney.

The Indiana Supreme Court ruled evidence gathered from listening to the conservation could not be presented at trial.

In 2017, the high court also suspended Neary's license to practice law for no less than four-years for eavesdropping during this and a Long Beach homicide case in 2012.

Taylor in 2016 was given a four-year prison sentence for his role in the firing of about a dozen gunshots at teenagers who were not struck.

This happened after his release from bond on the murder charge was ordered until the Supreme Court ruled on a technicality stemming from the eavesdropping.
fmc 240




Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.