Print

fire linked to wood burner

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 07:38 AM
Written by Stan Maddux
Category: Local News

A house fire along Michigan City's lakefront yesterday is being linked to a wood burner.

Flames and heavy smoke were seen coming from the top of the chimney late in the

morning in the 100 block of Beachwalk Lane.

According to fire officials......two people inside the home got out safety.

The fire spread to some rafters in the attic.....but the flames were quickly put out.

Investigators say a build up of creosote in the chimney apparently caused the

fire.

Creosote is produced from burning wood and can catch fire if not swept

from the chimney.

Officials say firefighters got on the roof to douse the flames..