Home  //  News  //  lp area man airlifted after fire
  • Register
Thursday November 23, 2017
Print
Email

lp area man airlifted after fire

Thursday, July 06, 2017 15:33 PM
Written by Stan Maddux
Category: Local News

A LaPorte area man was airlifted to a Ft. Wayne burn center following a Thursday morning house fire that claimed the lives of his dog and two cats.
George Gauer, who's in his 70's, was inside his home at 3634 W. Small Road for about 10 minutes before crawling out a first floor window about 7:30 a.m.
His condition was not known.
Buddy Kasinger with LaPorte County Emergency Medical Service said the man had suspected burning to his lungs from inhalating heated air and the condition is life threatening due to the risk for the airway to swell shut.
''When he came out, he was very red in the face and had some nose hairs that were singed,'' said Kasinger.
LaPorte County Animal Control director Jane Bernard said the dog was placed on a respirator by firefighters but soon perished while the two cats were already deceased when pulled from the home, she said.
Center Township Fire Chief Mark Christiano said the cause of the fire and extent of the damage were not immediately known.
Gauer is a longtime member of the American Legion Post 83 in LaPorte, which has begun raising funds for the man.
fmc 240

Login

Register

*
*
*
*
*
*

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.